Friday, April 8, 2016

What would you do with One Shot?

On the prairie in Colorado....
"Look,
If you had
One shot,
One opportunity,
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
or just let it slip?"
    ~from "Lose Yourself" by Eminem

I am not a fan of rap music. However, when I watched the movie 8 Mile a number of years ago, I did find myself having respect and admiration for those that could turn a rhyme on a dime. 

Tonight I'm preparing for my husband to come home after being gone all week. I'm cleaning house and making dinner. I'm drinking a little of my favorite jug beer and listening to music, as I often do. And "Lose Yourself" came up in the Playmix. This caused me to reflect and ponder a few things. 

Two years ago today I was being given an epidural and prepared for what was essentially exploratory surgery. I was scared and didn't know what the outcome would be. You can read about that in last year's reflective post. Now I'm another year past that scary event.....and all I can think is, "it is possible to completely change one's life." 

I've been in Mongolia for nine months. Spring break has arrived with only one quarter left of the school year to summer break. Soon I will celebrate a year of my new life. The novelty has yet to wear off. I'm thankful for my work at ASU. I''m thankful for the friends I've made--my fellow American Wives (Michelle, Tricia, Melanie, and Brittany), my co-workers at ASU (especially K, Jen, and Maggie), and all the lovely Mongolian women I work with--especially Doljinsuren. Yes, I have been blessed beyond measure. I make plans just one or two days in advance.....and sometimes, even IN THE MOMENT. I love the spontaneity that IS A WAY OF LIFE in this country. 

People have called me Brave. Or Crazy. Maybe I'm a mix of both. Mostly....I'm Happy. We are human beings....and there is always a choice in one's lot, one's situation....I challenge you.....to capture the moments that present themselves. If I hadn't stepped outside a ger in search of something different, something unknown, I wouldn't have all that I now possess. I am rich....in the intangible mysteries of love and joy. It's lovely. And beautiful. And thrilling. 

So I ask.....what could be possible for you....if you did something different? Something unexpected? Something.......else?

2 comments:

  1. An interesting challenge, coming from a good example and newly-minted trailblazer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for you too! Keep on rockin'. <3 Jen

    ReplyDelete