Monday, September 4, 2017

Sheep Heads and Sidewalk Sleepers

I'm still surprised when I see sheep heads--cooked and saran-wrapped--in the cooler next to the eggs and milk at the supermarket. I just can't imagine it will ever be normal or everyday. But here they are for your viewing pleasure. And one head costs 5,540 MNT or about $2.28. If you've been following my blog, then you recall that I tried my first sheep's head back in April of 2016. I haven't had it again since. I'm glad to have tasted it....and the cheek meat and tongue are especially tasty...but it's not preferred Mongolian meat. That would be horse! With winter approaching, horse meat will be back on the butcher blocks. For the most part it is not eaten in the warmer months. 

Some of you may have been wondering where I've been....as it's been a near two month hiatus since I last posted. Summer came and I was busy--first with working the English summer camp at ASU (had a blast with the younger kids for two weeks!). Then I went home to the USA, Virginia to be exact, to see my mother (and other family and friends--a full post on that soon) and attend an Advanced Placement Summer Institute. Then I was back here in UB for the final weeks before I first reported to work on August 18th. Now we are into our second full week of the semester one and I am LOVING my AP Lit class that is populated with NINE of our seniors (about half of the class). Again....look for a fleshed out post soon with highlights from my US trip.

My last post back in July was about Sidewalks....the uneven-ness of them and the things I observe on them. Well...this is a P.S. to that post. Occasionally one does encounter someone such as this man on the left. He was sound asleep on the sidewalk. I assume he had been drunk, though I can't say I smelled any alcohol. I snapped this picture around 9:20 am on a Sunday morning--I think I was on my way home after a morning jog. Anyway....just wanted to add that one more thing to my observations for the sidewalks of UB. 

I promise to have another post up very soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment