Thursday, November 30, 2017

How Fast it Turns

Left: Tuul on Nov. 10; Right: Tuul on Nov 24.
I can't seem to let go of this obsession with cold yet. I have more to say. Many of my international teaching co-workers are beginning to job hunt for where to go next in the world. Many of them wish to go some place warmer and with less or no pollution. I certainly understand the desire for cleaner air. That's something that most Americans take for granted--not realizing how in many places around the world there is "bad air." That said and while I am not job hunting like my colleagues, I do ponder the places they seek. To me living in a tropical place--filled with humidity and (probably) mold and creepy crawlies and insects--has no appeal whatsoever. 

This reminds me of a vacation I took in 2009 with my cousin Melaney and her family. We spent a week in Costa Rica. I learned an important thing about myself on that trip--I am NOT a beach vacation person. I do not want to spend hours sitting on a beach--watching the surf, reading a book--nope, that is a certain kind of discomfort for me and not at all relaxing. I get that it IS bliss for many (said cousin and family are total water/beach people) and I do not begrudge them that pleasure; however, knowing what works for me and what doesn't is important. For me, I want to see sites--historical, cultural, natural--it doesn't matter. 

Today we were off the charts with our air quality--in the hazardous range for most of the day. One of the other features of the app I mentioned in my last post is that it lists rankings of the most polluted places on earth on any given day. Above is a screenshot from a few days ago. Ulaanbaatar was #9 on that day. Currently, as I finally finish typing up this post we are #6. Just today I switched over into a new face mask (picture below). I use the 3M disposable kind and wear each one for 2-4 weeks, depending on frequency and duration. You might be interested to read about tests conducted to determine if face masks really work. 


Top: Used @ 4 weeks off and on; Bottom: New
Inside my apartment I have some makeshift air purifiers created by SmartAir--a non-profit organization that began in China (Beijing) but has expanded to Mongolia. I have a Cannon in the living room and a DIY in both bedrooms. The HEPA filters go black within 1-2 weeks, but work for up to 1000 hours of usage. I believe they make a difference and are more affordable then commercial ones on the market. 

Honestly, the next 21 days are the hardest. The darkness is what bothers me the most. I count down to December 20th or so because then we begin to climb out of the darkness. Yep, beginning with December 22nd the days begin to get longer. 

With those tidbits of information, I'll sign off for now. Happy almost December to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment