Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A trip to the Supermarket

So here's an "everyday life" type of post. I thought perhaps some of you might wonder what it costs to buy groceries here. I took a picture of my shopping trip to Nomin (supermarket located directly across the street in the State Department Store) on August 9th. My grand total for the following list of items was 69,115 MNT (Tugrik) or $34.82. The current exchange rate is 1,985 tugrik to 1 USD. Last summer when Dad and I were here it was 1,840. 

Here's what that purchased:

  • Head of broccoli
  • Bottle of wine ($6.36), (very drinkable--I'm yet experimenting to find what I like here. Most wines are from Europe or Australia)
  • Box of apple juice
  • Bag of potatoes
  • 4 carrots
  • 2 rolls of TP
  • Carton of Milk
  • Cream for coffee
  • Chocolate
  • small bag of chocolate animal crackers
  • Spicy chicken marinade
  • 5 chicken breasts (from the meat counter/deli for $5.62)
  • 3 bell peppers
  • 4 small yogurts
  • small hunk of cheddar cheese (haven't tried it yet--continuing the hunt for good cheese)
  • loaf of bread
  • 10 eggs (this seems to be the standard Mongolian dozen)
There you have it. An "average" trip to the grocery store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment